BikingBrian Rotating Header Image

Opening H.264 MP4 Files in VirtualDub

I prefer to use VirtualDub to for all of my “simple” video processing tasks on the PC, such as splitting and joining.  One problem is that VirtualDub can only process AVI files, and my new camcorder saves in MP4 format.  The other problem is that VirtualDub doesn’t support H.264 streams.  The following steps allow me to open the H.264 MP4 files in VirtualDub:

• Download and install Haali Media Splitter
  • Download and install ffdshow, don’t forget to check the VirtualDub interface.  Also, during the setup I only selected ffdshow to be used for H.264/AVC (libavcodec) video and AAC audio, although these options can be reconfigured later.
  • Download the DirectShow Input Driver for VirtualDub and place it in the “plugins32″ directory under the VirtualDub exe file.

When opening files in VirtualDub, select  “file / open video file”.  Then under the “files of type” option, select “direct show input driver”.  Then the MP4 files will show up in the file list and then can be opened.  I then do my editing and re-encode the video as an AVI file in another codec.

Here’s a couple of threads with more information:

Edit, 1 August 2013: I’ve abandoned the above procedure and now downloaded x264vfw per this guide to save files. To open files, I use ffinputdriver.

15 Comments

1. Michael Lee says:

Brian, I realize this is a relatively old post, and that you’ve probably learned a lot about opening and editing your MP4 files, but when I was recently in the same predicament about opening my MOV files in VirtualDub (used mainly for Deshaker) I found the QuickTime plugin for VD and that’s all that’s needed!

Hope all is well,

Mike

2. Dan says:

Thanks for this! Have spent all afternoon trying to do this and this is the only method I’ve found that actually worked.

3. Fiber says:

Ahh, thank you, saved my day. Works perfectly with the CCCodec Pack.

4. Samar says:

Hi, better late than never… At last, I’ve succeeded to open an mp4 video file with virtualdub, thanks to your solution. Thank you as much as I’m addicted to working with virtualdub.

5. Samar says:

Btw, this even work in Windows 7 x64, using virtualdub 64bit and putting the DShowInput driver inside a “plugins” folder that I created (because it doesn’t exist in the 64bit version) within the application. Now I can open any mp4 downloaded from Youtube. Thank you again for making my day:-)

6. sp00n says:

Hmm. I don’t see how the updated guide with the x264vfw version can replace the above procedure. It only deals with being able to *save* videos in x264, and not *open* them.

I’m still receiving the “Unable to set filename on media detector: hr = 80040200″ error.

7. BikingBrian says:

@sp00n – Ah yes, you’re right. I forgot to mention that I use the ffinputdriver plugin to open the files. I’ve edited the post above. Thanks for the heads up!

8. Michael Lee says:

Hey BikingBrian –

After 3 1/2 years I am still being kept up to date on this post! Interestingly, I still use, and would still recommend, my originally suggested method as being the simplest solution. There are multiple ways to accomplish this task though, as there isn’t one perfect solution.

Hope all is well,

Mike

9. sp00n says:

I couldn’t get it to work with the Quicktime plugin (actually I’ve tried that before stumbling upon this post, so maybe I used some other version), but the ffinputdriver plugin works like a charm for my GoPro files!

Thanks :)

10. Denis says:

Hallo,

I use since many years virtualdubmod to convert my mpeg2 files to avi(divx).
    Now allready trying to find a way to make VDM to do so with ts files comming from my VU+Solo2 Sat receiver.
    VDM does not want to do it.
    Is there a plugin for it?
    I do not want to do other steps before, because i convert about 20 to 40 recordings a day.
    So it would take me tov long making other step before i can start the real job.

Greetings,

Denis

11. Jan 14, 2014: Someone’s made an input plugin for FLV, H264, M4V, MKV, MP4

Full list of 31 supported file types:
    anm, asf, avi, bik, dts, dxa, flv, fli, flc, flx, h261, h263, h264, m4v, mkv, mjp, mlp, mov, mp4, 3gp, 3g2, mj2, mvi, pmp, rm, rmvb, rpl, smk, swf, vc1, wmv, ts, vob, mts, m2ts, m2t, .mxf, .ogm, qt, tp, dvr-ms, amv.

To install, unzip in your VirtualDub install folder. Be sure to overwrite any existing files there. When opening a file, select files of type “FFpeg supported files” and, at least for the first time you use it, check “Ask for extended options.” The Extended Options have been updated recently (version 0.8.0.7) – you can auto-detect color matrix (Rec601/Rec709) and select default video decoding format for “unusual formats” (there are many formats that virtualdub doesn’t handle, now you can choose how they are decoded)

How I found it:

12. BikingBrian says:

Wow, thanks for the tip! I’ll have to check it out later…..

13. sp00n says:

Hu? Isn’t this the same that you posted in your update already (and which works perfectly fine)?

14. […] Opening H.264 MP4 Files in VirtualDub – BikingBrian Router: Helen 3.10.17-gentoo Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3110 @ 3.00GHz GNU/Linux no overclocking, no problems Mich gibt's im ForumDeluxx, bei ComputerBase und bei Planet3dNow. Zitieren […]

15. Dave says:

Just a quick note – I know there’s lots of ways to get the same result, but I’m using AVISYNTH, which can create a “pseudo-AVI” file out of other formats / data and then deliver that to VirtualDub as if it were getting an avi. Note you seem to need a 32-bit AVISYNTH for 32-bit VirtualDub, 64- for 64-.

As an example, create a text file test.avs (say with notepad) containing the lines:

v = directshowsource(“test.mp4″)
    return v

Then in VD open the file test.avs – and you should get your mp4 file, converted.

If you’ve downloaded the vfw x264 driver / plugin for VD, you can also save directly to an mp4 file.

I have other packages like Quicktime and ffmpeg installed on my system, so I’m not aware if there are some other dependencies happening behind the scenes to get this to work. Apologies if you need more than just avisynth to get the conversion to happen.

You can do lots of other things in avisynth – cropping, resizing, even combining two clips side-by-side or one atop the other. It’s a handy package.

Hope this helps!