Updated Cabin Radio and Antenna Setup

As I mentioned previously, I got a new (to me) dual band radio for home, so now I’m setting up the Kenwood TM-241A at the mountain cabin. First, I drilled a mystery hole above the workbench in the garage.

20120610-145216.jpg

Then I took down the old mast, removed the old J Pole antenna, and attached a new Diamond CP22E antenna. Yeah, it’s only a mono band, but it’s also only $50. It’s sitting on the sawhorses below while the spray paint dries.

20120610-145237.jpg

A closeup of where the antenna attaches to the mast, even that gets spray painted.

20120610-145253.jpg

Homemade shelf for the power supply, with space on the right for the extra cables.

20120610-145325.jpg

Here is the setup from the front. I had some extra coax and put it in a loop (near the old satellite dish).

20120610-145339.jpg

The final install has about 8 feet of mast and 10 feet of antenna. The eave mount doesn’t show up well in that lighting, but it’s visible in previous posts. If I could do it all over again, I wouldn’t have wasted the money on an eave mount and used a tripod mount on the roof. But I figured the eave mount was already a sunk cost, and it’s holding a $50 antenna rather than a $200 antenna, so I’d stay with that for now.

20120610-145356.jpg

The antenna is almost invisible among the trees.

20120610-145415.jpg

It’s a little more visible here.

20120610-145503.jpg

By the way, in case you were wondering why I drilled a hole on the shelf – it’s so that the vent fan on the power supply has somewhere to blow! You can also see the electrical outlet used for the power supply and the webcam.

20120610-145448.jpg

By the way, this antenna and radio combination is working great so far!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *